About Me

My photo
Hey young world! Our names are Tiana and Kanae. Recently, we vowed to make some lifestyle changes. We wanted to lose weight, eat right and workout more. We've tried before and already knew our journey would be hard especially if we tried to do it by ourselves. So we came together and promised to motivate and encourage each other as we made our lifestyle changes. This blog is dedicated to our journey. Welcome!

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Slacking off something serious!! ............Last 10-15 lbs are the hardest ????

OMG!!!  I am slacking off something serious! I haven't worked out in a couple weeks now.  But on a good note, I am still watching what I eat.  AND.. I haven't gained weight back! Whew! So that's good.... However, I have commenced losing any.

One thing I did realize after not losing weight these couple of weeks, is that  working out and losing calories that way is what was helping me lose the 1 lb a week.  Another thing I realized is that I have somewhat learned how to eat to maintain my weight. I have lost about 5-6 lbs thus far and I keep hearing, "the last 10 -15 lbs are the hardest", and I'm trying not to get discouraged.

I have a big test coming up early next month and I'm using all my free time to study.  After the test, I think I'll get back to running. But for now, I have to focus on my test.  I am still watching what I eat, which has helped to keep me steady or lose a little bit while not working out.

These are some things you should know while watching what you eat and exercising:

1.)  3500 cal = 1 lb

2.) You need to find out how much energy you burn doing your regular daily tasks. For example:
I went to this website and put in my sex, weight, height, age and my normal activity is low so I chose a Sedentary lifestyle.  My BMI came back as 27.1 and for my height I should have a BMI of 18.5 to 24.9 or 108 to 146 lbs. However, please note that BMI does not take into account your body composition. So it's not taking into account that I have a huge chest which doesn't go down much as I lose weight.  My goal is about 145 to 150 lbs.  My daily energy burned came out to be 2038 Cal per day.  This means that if I take in 2038 calories per day, I will maintain my current weight.  Now here is the important part.  If you decrease your intake by 500 calories per day, you will lose a pound a week.  You have to create a deficiency in the amount you burn regularly ( 2038 for me) to start to lose the weight. See how it works below:

2038 cal - to maintain my weight daily
  500 cal - decrease to calorie intake daily (by eating less cals or exercising)
=====
1538 cal - new daily calorie intake to lose a pound a week

(-500 cal x 7 days = -3500 cal or 1lb per week lost)

People who are looking to gain weight can use the same strategy.

2038 cal - to maintain my weight daily

  500 cal - increase to calorie intake daily

=====

2538 cal - new daily calorie intake to gain a pound a week

(500 cal x 7 days = 3500 cal or 1lb per week gained)


 So if you decrease by 750 cals per day then:

(-750 cal x 7 days = -5250 cal  (5250/3500= 1.5) or 1.5 lbs per week lost)


And further more if you decrease by 1000 cals per day then:

(-1000 cal x 7 days = -7000 cal  (7000/3500= 2) or 2 lbs per week lost)



Please note, most Health Websites advise you to take in at least 1200 Calories a day. So please stick to the goal of 1 to 1.5 lbs per week.  Depending on where you are in your process you may drop off more than that per week. However, remember that we are trying to promote healthy lifestyle changes, and not a quick fix.

Hope this helped you all like it helped me!!

~Tiana

No comments:

Post a Comment